There are a lot of brushless gimbals out there, and there are a few videos takITen by Rotorbits based multirotors out there that were obviously shot using a gimbal. I have yet to see a video where anyone actually showed HOW they got it mounted or what brushless gimbal was used. With all of the possibilties out there, I settled on a Tarot T-2D, and I would worry about the "how" once I had it in hand.

I spent most of the day today trying various shapes and sizes of composite plates, numerous lengths of nylon stand-offs and finally found a good combination. There were a few goals in mind. It had to be easy to swap out (nice to use one gimbal for multiple copters)

1. Mounted to the center of the copter rather than cantilevered 2. Easy to swap out (nice to use one gimbal for more than one copter!) 3. Sturdy and stable (can't have the camera plummeting to the ground) 4. Adjustable (in case I want to run with two battery packs for longer flights)

Using a combination of threaded nylon standoffs, carbon fiber arrow shafts, and composite pre-drilled plates, some double sided foam tape, screws, and threadlock here's what I came up with.

5.6mm x 25mm M3 threaded stand-off 5.6mm x 20mm M3 threaded spacer 5.6mm x 20mm M3 threaded stand-off

all adds up to 55mm when stacked together and female ends on each side.

a 7.5mm O.D. carbon fiber arrow shaft, approximately 5mm I.D. This will yield a tight fit, gently press the assembled nylon spacer into the shaft. This will strengthen the assembly.

4 - 40x40 mm square composite plates, 10mm on center holes 2.5mm dia. 40x40 mm composite - Available at HobbyKing

Using the standoffs/spacers, and carbon fiber shaft, create 4 rods. Then take two of the 40mm square plates and screw them into the the Tarot's mount, for this I used 2.5mm flat head screws and their companion nylon washer and a nylock nut.

I needed to enlarge the holes in the 40x40 plate from 2.5mm to 3mm to accommodate the screws for the tapped spacers.

Putting it together looks like this.

Now, let's check the alignment with the Rotorbits hex base. I'm running a + configuration rather than an X but it works either way. The flight battery will hang between the gimbal mount and the frame base, running perpendicular to the Tarot's mount plate.

Here is the mount, testing fit on the copter.

Some double-sided foam tape on the other two 40x40 plates. This will secure the plate to the Rotorbits frame base. I may drill a couple of holes through the plate to utilize the leg socket holes to secure the top plates more solidly. However, currently the booms are friction fit into the sockets as drilling through the carbon fiber booms weakens them due to splintering of the fibers on the inside. Though I've found that the Dremel attachment for engraving works quite well to "sand" a hole through rather than using a drill bit that uses a shearing/cutting action.

...and here's the final installation, of the gimbal, some cable management is still in order of course! :)